Advice about electric bikes
Sensors electric bike
Thanks to the pedal assistance on an electric bike, you can cover a lot of kilometers with ease. This boost is made possible by the motor, the battery and the sensor. The pedal assistance only starts when the sensor gives a signal that the engine is allowed to start. Read on to learn everything about the different ebike sensors.
What is an e-bike sensor and which ones are there?
The motor determines the power of an ebike and draws energy from the battery for this. When and how much support you receive is determined by the sensor on your e-bike. The sensor measures the speed of the e-bike and ensures that the pedal assistance stops at 25 km/h. This is determined by law and distinguishes an e-bike from a moped or moped.
What types of sensors are there for an electric bike?
There are two different types of sensors for electric bikes: the rotation sensor and the pedal force sensor. Which sensor you choose is very personal. It depends on the support that feels comfortable to you. Below you can read all about the advantages and disadvantages of the two types of sensors.
Rotation sensor (or motion sensor)
Every electric bike is equipped with a rotation sensor. When you start pedaling, the sensor gives a signal to the motor. The engine is then started with a slight delay. The strength of support is determined on the basis of your speed and the support position that you choose yourself. It does not matter for the support how much force you put on the pedals. However, the pedals must keep turning. The support feels very even.
- The rotation sensor is very reliable due to the simple system
- The system is cost efficient
- You always get support, no matter how much force you put on the pedals
- The assistance is not immediately noticeable when driving away
- The support may feel unnatural
- The rotation sensor requires more energy from the battery
Pedal force sensor
As the name suggests, a pedal force sensor registers the amount of force you exert on the pedals. The harder you pedal, the faster you go. Based on the chosen support and the power that is provided, you get exactly the desired pedal support. The force sensor has no delay when cycling on the road and stops immediately when you brake. This makes the support feel very natural. The pedal force sensor can be found at Miss Grace C7 HMB.
- The support feels natural, because it depends on your own effort
- The support responds immediately when you drive away or stop
- The assistance does not start when the pedals turn without pressure, for example when you are walking with the bicycle
- For support you have to exert force yourself while pedaling
- The system is a bit more expensive
- The e-bike must be calibrated regularly, so that the pedal registers exactly zero grams without weight (you can do this yourself via the display)